Monday, February 28, 2011

New sky

I changed the sky using a spot dye I dyed and hooking in a random pattern with a little off-white for a few little clouds. I don't know if it's better, but I wanted to try it.

Friday, February 25, 2011

Abandon Part 4

Wanda suggested I lighten my sky, so here it is. I'm having trouble finding the right light color of blue, maybe I need to try a soft white or light pink to lighten it up more. I think I'll just hook the border and think about it for awhile.

Monday, February 21, 2011

Abandoned Part 3

I'm almost finished with Abandon. I finished hooking the grass, leaves and prodded the lupines. Then I prodded the trees, using birch bark wool for the trunk and branches. I hooked the sky in straight lines with a mixture of 3 different blues. I'm thinking the lupines are too bright and may change them to a softer color. I'll have to mull this over. I'll have to dye more of the wool for the border as I'm running out. I'd like it to be wider.

Wednesday, February 16, 2011

Abandon Part 2

Here are some of the lupines. I should have started at the bottom of the rug, but for some reason I didn't. I'm prodding the smaller, more distant lupines by hooking them and cutting the loops. The grass is a mixture of 5 or 6 greens, from light to dark. I think I need to make the grass lighter at the top.


I stopped working on my antique rug for a bit to join a Welcome Mat class hooking a design by Wanda Kerr called Abandon. It's a study in mini proddy, which I've done very little of before. It's been fun and I'll show my progress here.

I did change a few of the features from the original design. I tried to shade the windows and also shaded the right side of the house. I hooked the front door so it would look like it was standing open and the house was abandoned. It's a fun class and I'm learning a lot with Wanda's help.

Wednesday, February 2, 2011

Broken Flower

This is the 3rd antique reproduction rug I completed in the last 2 months, although I still have the binding to do. I saw this in a book and knew I had to hook it. I used mostly 8.5 and 9 cut wool on linen. The size is 17" x 24". There's something about the teal and pink colors together that I love. And the dark border, which looks black but is actually a dark blue and black stripe, makes a nice contrast with the other colors. I will probably whip the edges with Norwegian yarn.  On to number 4 repro rug....

Tuesday, February 1, 2011

2 Bunny Geometric

I meant to blog and take photos as I hooked this rug, but of course I forgot. This is another antique rug reproduction.  Something about this rug struck a chord with me and I knew I had to hook it. It went pretty fast and I started and finished it before Christmas 2010. I still have to finish the edges and I will probably use my Norwegian yarn to whip them and then sew on binding tape to the back. The colors are grays, tans, pinks, reds and dark blue/blacks. I tried to make it as close to the original as possible. The size is 19" x 27" and I used mostly 8.5 cut wool on linen.