Wednesday, July 6, 2011

Western

This year I drove out to the Western McGown Teacher's Workshop with my son and granddaughter, who were home visiting.  It took 2 1/2 days and Nita did a wonderful job, especially being she is only 2 and in a car seat for hundreds of miles.  Her paci helped.  So did the DVD player with Tangled and Phineas and Ferb playing.

                            The workshop was great. I had a lot of good classes and great teachers.

This is Tanya. She taught a waterfall class. Her rendition was amazing.



I don't have a photo of my teacher, Susan, but her mat, which she sewed onto a beaver pelt, was also amazing. It was a great class. She also took us on a tour of the campus after class.



This was our diagonal geometric. Sheila Mitchell was the teacher. I loved the colors she used and was very lucky to get into her class. She taught The Kestral last year, which I also took from her.  She's an amazing teacher.


I also went to Karen Kahle's house again with a few other ladies, and of course, I bought another pattern.



One of my teachers, Susan Elcox,  led a few of us on a tour of the U of O campus. She graduated from there so she knew what she was talking about.


Construction was going on, so we had classes in the basement and also in a 3rd floor lounge. The food was served in our dorm, so we never had to leave the building if we didn't want to.  I went to the campus bookstore and a used bookstore and bought 2 reference books for classes I'm teaching next year.  I had a great time and will be back next year as I was asked to teach a class.

The only problem were my return travel arrangements. Amtrak cancelled my return trip, then an accident in Nevada caused them to cancel the alternate routed trip they had arranged for me. So I took Greyhound to Seattle, meaning to go on to Minnesota, but after that 8 hour terrible ride, I got off, called my nephew and stayed overnight at their house and flew home the next day. I've discovered Amtrak is not very reliable and Greyhound has gone downhill since I was 5 years old. Never again. And the flying was fine. I was just so happy to be going home it didn't bother me at all. It had been 12 years in May since I had last flown. The funny part was it was almost the same exact flight...from Seattle to Minneapolis. It was good to be home.

No comments:

Post a Comment